Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine's Day

I am the sort of person who has no awareness whatsoever of a day's cause for celebration. And so, quite unaware of the day, I found myself boulder hopping down the Waimakariri. But at the road end I came across a lovely old couple sipping champagne and eating Belgian chocolates, an enjoyable activity that I soon found myself invited to partake in! So, yes, the absense here has been due to another little wander in the hills. The remainder of the day turned out excellent as well. By dinner time I had completely forgotten it was Valentine's Day and couldn't figure out why the restaurant, where I went to treat myself to a well-deserved steak, was so busy - that is until a sweet old Kiwi French ski instructor chatted me up and reminded me. Anyway, back to work, folks. All those guys who sent me email cards - I'm afraid they must have been chewed up by my vicious spam filter. Oh well!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

02 14 07

hehehheheehe Well glad to see you back Kea. I realized it was the special day today because of all the flowers and balloons for sale. I won't get home until late tonight, so a special dinner with my husband will havta wait. Alas! :)

February 15, 2007 11:09 AM  
Blogger nige said...

Sadly, yours is not the only defective spam filter! :-(

February 15, 2007 11:26 AM  
Blogger Kea said...

Mahndisa! Good to see you again. I must get back to work. Hmmm. I had a great offer yesterday from another nice Kiwi guy to go tramping into one of the more remote wilderness areas, which it would be difficult for me to access alone. Tempting.

February 15, 2007 11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Valentine's day is the biggest gal holiday and cannot be ignored. I hate to see real flowers age and decay, and fake flowers gather dust and wilt. In addition I'm pretty cheap. Fortunately there is a simple algorithm.

(1) Wait until the day after Valentine's day. Buy good fake roses in a box at 75% off. Put them in a closet. Now there are two possibilities.

(2a) If you chose flowers that have a lot of leaves, you can give them to your girl for St. Patrick's Day. (This didn't work too well for me.)

(2b) Otherwise you can save them for next year's Valentine's Day. If you have trouble remembering when it is, just give her the flowers on the biggest guy holiday, Superbowl Sunday. This might help with your ignoring her all day. (I've tested this idea and it works well.)

(3) After giving the girl your flowers, keep the box. Wait one or two weeks, grab the flowers, put them back in the box, in the closet and repeat step (2a) or (2b).

February 15, 2007 4:58 PM  
Blogger L. Riofrio said...

Happy V-day! I am glad you had a romantic day outdoors too.

February 17, 2007 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home