Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Mt Aspiring

Carl Brannen is currently enjoying Hawaii where he will be speaking about his derivation of the lepton masses. It is a large conference with a String theory session, which has some interesting sounding talks such as Sakurai on the geometric Langlands program. Amongst bloggers, at least Gordon Watts appears to be there. I guess we're heading into a busy conference season!


The Euler characteristic for a Coxeter complex based on A_n goes like

chi = (-1)^n.2n.(n - 2)!!(n - 2)!!

which grows quickly but is only -6 for the case of A_3. Goodness me, that number does have a tendency to crop up, doesn't it now?

6 Comments:

Blogger CarlBrannen said...

Kea, my sister is in academia, an English professor at Duchesne (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA).

Her son has dressed as, (well, see if you can guess without reading the story), for Halloween this year and she has put his photograph on her blog.

November 01, 2006 7:31 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Hi Carl

Obviously Neptune/Poseidon/Vishnu ?

Probably I'm leaving a couple of possibilities out!

November 02, 2006 11:23 AM  
Blogger Kea said...

Oh!! Perseus! My memory of these stories is often weak, I'm afraid, but I do like to read Greek works.

November 02, 2006 11:25 AM  
Blogger Kea said...

No that's not right...oh, all right, tell me...

November 02, 2006 11:28 AM  
Blogger Kea said...

Oh!! KALI. (I read the answer at last). But Kali is a woman!

November 02, 2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger Kea said...

I had fun at a fancy dress party last year. The theme was the letter P, so I went as Persephone, all ghoulish but covered in flowers. Everyone was very impressed that I had caught the bus to the party.

November 02, 2006 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home