Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Friday, December 22, 2006

Intermittence

Posts on this blog will probably be less frequent over the next few weeks. This is not due to the contagious lethargy of the season, but rather to the lack of reliable computing facilities in the neighbourhood.

For a good laugh, take a look at Scott Aaronson's post on becoming a mercenary in the String Wars after a cushy visit to Stanford. Personally, I'd settle for a bug infested hovel and some chips to eat, if anyone feels like flying me somewhere. I'd love to talk about quantum topos theory, M Theory and operads and the calculation of LHC amplitudes, but no one seems interested in such things.

Oh, my! I've been tagged by Mahndisa.
Six Weird Things About Me:
1. I own more ice tools than handbags.
2. I am extremely anxious about being even one minute late.
3. It's unusual amongst my peers that I don't think it's unusual that I don't have any substantial assets, such as a car.
4. I tend to be succinct.
5. When I was barely two years old I went missing and was found in a pantry, having just polished off a large jar of black olives.
6. I've been missing a few times. Last time it involved quite a number of search teams and an airforce iroquois, but I'll tell that story some other time.

Hmmm. I guess I'll tag Louise, Carl B, Matti, Nigel, Tommaso and Jonathon (but I don't mind if you ignore it).

6 Comments:

Blogger CarlBrannen said...

I'm not sure how these should be numbered...

1. Not only do I look at my change carefully, I look at my bills. I'm hoping to find one with the digits of pi.

2. When strangers ask me "how are you" one two many times, I tell them about my itchy hemmorhoids. (Good news is that my friends don't "borrow" my pens anymore.)

3. Tells children inconvenient things that are true. For example, eggs come from chicken butts.

4. Very picky eater. Won't eat meat with bones.

5. Believes in God.

6. No Cable. No TV. No heat. No microwave. No coffee. No underwear. No tooth paste. No deodorant. Picks nose in public.

December 22, 2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Thanks, Carl! Well, actually, I could have done with not knowing some of these things ... happy hunting.

December 22, 2006 1:55 PM  
Blogger L. Riofrio said...

Hee hee, inconvenient truths! I'll miss your posts, but know what it is like being away from computers. Idiosyncrasies make people special.

December 22, 2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger Mitchell said...

if anyone feels like flying me somewhere

On your recent visit to Australia, did you run across the Centre for Time? It's full of analytical philosophers interested in the metaphysics of physics; I saw at least two of the principals presenting at a technical workshop on the problem of time in quantum gravity, once.

And if you ever want to look up an example of NZ brainpower that's even more alienated than yourself, check out this guy.

December 27, 2006 9:25 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Hi Mitchell

No, I haven't been spending any time at Sydney Uni, but thanks for the link. Happy New Year.

December 30, 2006 1:05 PM  
Blogger nige said...

There's nothing weird about me, as far as I'm concerned, so I can't participate, regrettably. ;)

January 06, 2007 5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home