Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Updates

Check out NASA's cool new Hubble image in the last post. Louise Riofrio has a post about it. The astro-ph paper is here. They use both weak and strong lensing to find the mass distribution of CL0024+17. Matti, I think this paper has enough information for you to do a Bohr orbit analysis. If this is a typical head-on view of a recent collision of cluster systems, there must be an awful lot of 'dark matter' in the cosmos. And they say one can't test quantum gravity with simple optical observations!

Meanwhile, Tommaso shows us how QCD triumphs once again with B hadron lifetimes. And Carl Brannen has updated his gravity equations at PF.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matti Pitkänen said...

Thank you for the link. I will check it. I am a little surprised and disappointed that only single blogger (Angry Physicist) besides us has commented the discovery. Strange.

May 16, 2007 4:08 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Hi Matti. Well, as the paper says, the observation just confirms the LCDM paradigm ... er, yeah, right.

May 16, 2007 4:11 PM  
Blogger Matti Pitkänen said...

It is not easy to add comments to your blog! I try again.

I tested the Bohr model prediction
for the radius of the ring. It corresponds to the lowest possible Bohr orbit for the favored value of v_0! Time to open a bottle of champaigne if this very simple calculation does not contain an incredibly nasty error! I added the calculation to the previous posting.

May 16, 2007 6:24 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

I tested the Bohr model prediction
for the radius of the ring. It corresponds to the lowest possible Bohr orbit for the favored value of v_0!


FANTASTIC!! I wish I could share the bottle of champagne with you! All the best.

May 17, 2007 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home