Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Friday, August 24, 2007

From The Old Man

The Old Man in a Cave reports on the latest news regarding arctic ice levels. As of August 22 there is only 3.22 million square kilometres of sea ice in the north: a new record low. It is said that the (supposedly alarmist) UN Panel on Climate Change predicted this level of ice for the year 2050, not 2007.

On a lighter note: Happy 8th Birthday, Blogger!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Kea. nothing to do with the ice, I'm afraid. What can you tell me about 'kotahitanga'? It is cited in my thesaurus as a synonym for 'consensus'. If you go to the cave, you'll see where I'm coming from.

Sorry I can't contribute to your blog. My experience with physics ends at boiling a kettle.
Regards,

August 31, 2007 10:49 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Hi Fergus! Welcome to AF. As a cultural question, it is difficult to answer. I'm not the best person to ask, but this site translates it as unity or togetherness. I will go take a look at your cave ....

September 01, 2007 1:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for that. I had already discovered that it was the name of one of the early political parties which represented Maori interests in the C19. I imagined, as it is referred to as such in my thesaurus, that it translated as something like 'consensus' or 'agreement; however, it appears not.

You and yours are always welcome at the cave.

PS: sea level is now below 3.0 Mkm2 and still due to decline a little more.

September 01, 2007 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home