Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Friday, August 24, 2007

From The Old Man

The Old Man in a Cave reports on the latest news regarding arctic ice levels. As of August 22 there is only 3.22 million square kilometres of sea ice in the north: a new record low. It is said that the (supposedly alarmist) UN Panel on Climate Change predicted this level of ice for the year 2050, not 2007.

On a lighter note: Happy 8th Birthday, Blogger!


Blogger Fergus said...

Hi, Kea. nothing to do with the ice, I'm afraid. What can you tell me about 'kotahitanga'? It is cited in my thesaurus as a synonym for 'consensus'. If you go to the cave, you'll see where I'm coming from.

Sorry I can't contribute to your blog. My experience with physics ends at boiling a kettle.

August 31, 2007 10:49 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Hi Fergus! Welcome to AF. As a cultural question, it is difficult to answer. I'm not the best person to ask, but this site translates it as unity or togetherness. I will go take a look at your cave ....

September 01, 2007 1:31 PM  
Blogger Fergus said...

Thank you for that. I had already discovered that it was the name of one of the early political parties which represented Maori interests in the C19. I imagined, as it is referred to as such in my thesaurus, that it translated as something like 'consensus' or 'agreement; however, it appears not.

You and yours are always welcome at the cave.

PS: sea level is now below 3.0 Mkm2 and still due to decline a little more.

September 01, 2007 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home