Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Monday, December 24, 2007

M Theory Lesson 140

In an increasingly fascinating series of blogposts, the great mathematician Lieven Le Bruyn has finally reached the stringy topic of superpotentials. Apparently Grothendieck's children's drawings are dimers for Dedekind tesselations. Here is the recommended paper by Stienstra.

Aside: The very colourful graduation went well, on a stunning day. There were bagpipes, trumpet fanfares, Maori greetings, a Brahms sonata, singing in Maori, English and Latin, and the town hall organ was played. I would like to check my UC mail, but unfortunately somebody has managed to crash the system on the first day of the holidays, as usual, so I may have to wait until the New Year.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kea, first things first : congrats on your phd. now, i can live with irony, sarcasm is more difficult...
anyway, here's testimony to my 'greatness' from one of my former ph.d.students. he rubbed it in that i should pay attention to his papers. if i would have read them i would have known that my algebra could never be Calabi-Yau (he proved a result that the quiver then needed to have the property that all vertices had at least 2 incoming and 2 outgoing arrows). to which my reply was something along the lines of ' if this isnt CY in your definition, you should change the definition'... so, there's plenty i have to add to my last post but i'm in the middle of preparing wild boar for christmas-eve for my wifes family, one of the few task they happily entrust upon me every year, all 39 of them...

December 24, 2007 8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOOOW congratulations!!

I wrote to you a few days ago, and your explanation (no mail) makes sense now... I was expecting a reply!!

Well done, and please let us know more details!

Cheers,
T.

December 24, 2007 11:00 AM  
Blogger nige said...

"I would like to check my UC mail, but unfortunately somebody has managed to crash the system on the first day of the holidays, as usual, so I may have to wait until the New Year."

That might possibly be partly your fault if people emailed you collections of photos, overloading the email server, after you requested graduation ceremony photos be sent to you in a previous post.

But it sounds like a great university.

December 24, 2007 12:49 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Thanks everyone. LOL, Lieven: well, even if the CYs don't work out, I think your work is fascinating and I wish I understood it better.

...property that all vertices had at least 2 incoming and 2 outgoing arrows

Hmmmm. That sounds a bit like an operad type condition, where two leaves on a tree (in or out) are required to specify a 'point'. Anyway, happy holidays! The sound of that wild boar is making my mouth water.

December 24, 2007 4:11 PM  
Blogger Matti Pitkänen said...

Congratulations!

Matti

December 24, 2007 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home