Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Summer Holiday

A little animal friend told me that Betsy Devine is currently blogging from New Zealand! She has an odd collection of posts on the North Island, the latest entitled In some alternate universe we are all surfer dudes.

The presence of many Americans in NZ at this time of year does not go unnoticed by those of us who have to run around madly carrying salads and glasses of fine South Island pinot noirs to the tables outside in the sun. If any visiting physics bods want a really enthusiastic and cheap travel guide around the Southern Alps, then just give me a bell!

4 Comments:

Blogger CarlBrannen said...

I hope the Americans are tipping well. We're suffering from fairly cold and stormy weather. The road to our ethanol plant goes over a pass not much higher than 1000 meters. It is the main highway to the eastern half of the country. And it was closed for blizzard conditions and avalanche threats yesterday.

Also, unrelated, my blog set a new record today and I don't know why.

January 31, 2008 12:10 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

The Americans are easily the biggest tippers, but unfortunately, by the time they make it to our restaurant they have learned that tipping is not the custom here. Yes, blog hits do seem to be up, and I can't imagine why, either. I keep wondering what earth shattering piece of new astronomical news we must have missed.

January 31, 2008 3:30 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Heh, Carl, there's a recent PI lecture on density operators and quantum foundations, and the guy even mentions an example of a measurement operator that looks awfully familiar. Check it out.

January 31, 2008 6:02 PM  
Blogger CarlBrannen said...

Thanks for the link Kea, I think I will probably blog it. I was sort of tempted to blog Lubo's recent bad monetary advice for the US, but this is much more "professional".

By the way, if I had to hazard a guess, I would say that Lubos would prefer higher interest rates in the US because he saved a lot of money while he was over here and doesn't like to see his investments drop with the dollar. That is something that might reduce the ability of US tourists to spread the largess around.

We missed a $8 million loan supposedly because of the real estate problems in the US, but not before the bank collected a $3800 fee for looking at our proposal.

And I'm learning Gimp. It is a nice tool.

January 31, 2008 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home