Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Job Hunting

Browsing jobs online, with no regard for location, I came across a fantastic opportunity at the Department of Physics in Cambridge: they need a new waitress, and lunch and overalls are provided! Actually, I have been spending a bit of time on a more exciting job application, which I submitted today. Even if I don't get the job, it was fun trying.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kea,

my physics department cannot offer any job that I am aware of, but if you travel to Europe (meaning the plane ticket does not cost a fortune) I am sure we can organize a seminar for you, if you make the topic as close as category theory can get to particle theory.

Cheers!
T.

April 29, 2008 11:24 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Hi Kea,

You may be saddened by this news article Where Particles Collide, Sexism Is Rampant, Study Finds from 24 April 2008 Fermilab.

Hopefully Tommaso is correct and this will change.

April 30, 2008 5:44 AM  
Blogger Kea said...

Tommaso, thank you so much for the invitation! Unfortunately, plane tickets to Europe DO cost a fortune, and I am in no position to save funds to get to Europe, despite being employed. NZ is fast becoming a third world country when it comes to economics.

April 30, 2008 8:46 AM  
Blogger L. Riofrio said...

A while back Cambridge had an opening to assist Dr. Hawking, but that involves a lot of pushing him around. Better to take a job suited to your education, in science or at least a science hostel. Hopefully Kea or I will give a seminar at Tommaso's place sometime.

May 02, 2008 5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kea, Louise,

yes - my institute is glad to host speakers but we can afford to pay travel expenses only to some limit -it would probably allow to fly you from another EU country, say, but not california or nz...

let me know if you plan to come by.

cheers,
t

May 04, 2008 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home