Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Monday, January 19, 2009

CKM Rules V

Recall that the neutrino tribimaximal mixing matrix is most easily expressed in the form $F_3 F_2$, the product of two quantum Fourier operators. One wonders whether or not the other Combescure MUB operators can be combined to give us some information about the CKM matrix. For example, we have that Observe that the absolute value of this matrix takes the form where all entries are real, and the square of this absolute value looks like The cube finally takes a form reminiscent of the CKM, with all entries possibly distinct. In this example, the values of $a$, $b$ and $x$ are given by $\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{3}}$, $\sqrt{2 - \sqrt{3}}$ and $\sqrt{2}$.

4 Comments:

Blogger CarlBrannen said...

Marni, have you seen Topos formulation of Consistent Histories at the Perimeter Institute? I'm about to watch it.

January 20, 2009 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I can't watch videos here - I have a very primitive connection. Sigh. And no prospects of anything better for a while.

Remote Kea

January 20, 2009 7:17 PM  
Blogger CarlBrannen said...

It actually sort of made sense to me. That's probably evidence that it was way too simple for you to bother with.

The impression I get from reading a few of these type articles is that they are worrying too much about the problem of position and momentum being continuous variables (and consequently difficult to model) and so concentrating too much on approximations. I'd rather just say "the universe is finite so we will consider only finite Hilbert spaces". Then the math gets a lot easier and I bet examples from finite Hilbert spaces would help the audience understand.

January 20, 2009 10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carl. Yes, I agree with the criticism, but nothing is too simple for me! I looked at the pdf and I wish I could watch the talk.

Remote Kea

January 21, 2009 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home