Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Monday, November 02, 2009

Mt John News III

Now that most physics jobs require three references from professionals who are familiar with one's work, I am struggling to apply for anything. As far as I can tell, only two current applications of mine are complete. Thanks all the same to those who have helped. On my return from Australia in December, I have lined up a mountain job for the Christmas and New Year period: warden of French Ridge hut. Those of you who have visited this spot will appreciate the inevitability of an improvement in my fitness. This midsummer, I will fall asleep to the sounds of rumbling icefalls.

3 Comments:

Blogger L. Riofrio said...

I hope that the reference letters I have sent will help in some way. It is still very difficult for a woman to find a job in science. However, living among the mountains of NZ is a happier existence than the fearful, desperate lives of most physicists.

November 04, 2009 2:52 AM  
Blogger Kea said...

Louise, it is essentially impossible for me to get a job. I appreciate paradise ... but even after a lifetime, it can never be my home.

November 04, 2009 8:50 AM  
Blogger Matti Pitkänen said...

From a couple of friends who are at CERN I have learned what it is to do BIG science. Being a member of a group means that you have absolutely no academic freedom. You cannot publish anything with your own name and you are forced to do just what you are ordered to do. This is the price for a good salary and status.

Think what amount of human recources exist in CERN. They has been waiting for LHC year after year. Outside CERN they could have developed new ideas and theories. Now they have been just waiting like brainless soldiers for the battle to begin. Not exactly what I have dreamed about.

November 04, 2009 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home