Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Bloggy Bloom

Having installed a CQ Counter a week or two ago, I have been able to watch what sort of people visit this site. Very entertaining. I have also been getting emails from complete strangers about comments on my blog. Isn't it nice to know that someone is paying attention? In mountaineering there is a term for getting someone to follow you casually, secure in their knowledge that they know more than you do: it's called sandbagging.

Other physics blogs have been rather quiet lately, with the exception of Babe in the Universe and Clifford, who likes to chat. Clifford says he's going to remember one of my nutty lines for his next Hollywood party. He's so sweet. People must be busy working productively, as they put it. Well, I guess I should get back to the abstract nonsense then.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

12 02 06

Hello Kea:
Glad you are back. I am going to take quite a while to go over all of the links that you cited in the previous post. Thanks!

Operad time seems like an interesting concept that I will have to investigate. As I research a bit on operads I see that there is heirarchical ordering...heirarchies arise in a p-adic context as well. I was also looking up the concept of p-adic time. OK will go now. Need to study:)

December 03, 2006 7:42 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Hi Mahndisa

Glad to have you back! I know you're really smart, but I should warn you that there is a lifetime of work in some of these links. When I go to these kind of workshops, I try to switch into sponge mode and absorb as much as I can, even knowing that a little sponge can't get far in an ocean.

December 03, 2006 7:47 PM  
Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

12 02 06

Yeah Kea:
I am in sponge mode too;) I can get a cursory overview of the general concepts but everything is so intriguing! Sometimes, I wish there were more hours in a day! And thanks for thinking of me in a positive way!

December 03, 2006 8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what's the term in mountaineering when they don't bother to follow you because they never thought you climbed the mountain? Meanwhile, the book now has 166 pages; I've all but finished "The Zoo" and will start on "Mass", which is what the whole things is about.

Plus, I put up some pictures of pyrite crystals with faces identified by their Miller Indices, which in this case, are just the perpendiculars to the faces.

December 07, 2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger L. Riofrio said...

HI Kea, everyone! Your posts are some of the best on blogger, just the thing for reading in Volcano. Maths can be a lifetime of work, but worthwhile.

December 08, 2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

So what's the term in mountaineering when they don't bother to follow you because they never thought you climbed the mountain?

Good question!! As a solo climber I guess one does rely on either (a) reputation or (b) the proximity of other climbers (witnesses). One of the kea girls has problems having her Everest climb acknowledged, because no one actually saw her go up. I think she was one of the first women to climb it without oxygen. Anyway, I believe the internet and its records changes the rules of the game....

December 08, 2006 11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home