Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Gauntlet II

Christine Dantas has kindly explained her reasons for leaving the blogosphere, namely a dislike for the battleground which has been interfering with her efforts to conduct a peaceable blog on QG. We are very sad to see her go, and wish her all the best. It is true that the arguments currently raging are in parts very bitter and unacademic.

But there is a reason for all this. This blog has no intention of closing down. The fewer QG blogs there are, the louder this one will become, even if only one lonely soul out there is listening. Or even if there are none, because in desperation one could always hope that the Internet had become aware. Make no mistake - we are fighting for something. I have no quarrels with any individual. By and large they all mean well. And perhaps one could say that the right ideas will win out in the end, and so why not let it slide? Because I cannot stand by and watch such great lies being foisted upon humanity. I thank Blogger from the bottom of my heart, for this is the only option I have to speak. I have edited my blogroll today. The sites of TGD Diary (Matti Pitkanen) and Tony Smith are highly recommended. These physicists are both banned by the arxiv preprint server.

On a lighter note, Scott Aaronson appears to be making headway in his argument on CV, with Rob Knop conceding

If you keep saying stuff like that, I’m gonna have to be forced to re-evaluate my idea that computer science is a subdiscipline of math, and start wondering if it’s physics instead. And you know that the last thing a good red-blooded American ever wants is to be forced to re-evaluate his preconceptions.

Today I have received a copy of Lee Smolin's The Trouble with Physics, so I leave you to curl up in a warm corner and read it.

Update Thursday: I now appear to have been banned by CV. Yeah!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

11 07 06

Well Kea:
I am listening and want you to keep it up. I wish Christine would have saved some of the links and articles, because the notes were quite helpful. But I can see her reasons too. Too bad that polemics have obstructed vision, but oh well. WE must keep on. More ideas are being developed and should be explored, so here we are:) Have a nice day.

November 08, 2006 12:00 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Happy Birthday, Mahndisa! Thanks for visiting.

November 08, 2006 12:08 PM  
Blogger L. Riofrio said...

HI Kea: Such a shame that Christine dropped out, even if she sometimes disagreed. Your posts will be valued even more. She should provide a link to your guest-column. Slings and arrows are just part of the business.

November 09, 2006 8:41 AM  
Blogger Christine Cordula Dantas said...

Hi,

I have provided a backup to the posts over at my blog.

Thanks, keep up the good work, and I hope you girls are not "banned" elsewhere, although I know this will happen some times.

As I said, I do not have the right temperament for the present physics blogosphere, and I am willing to devote my time to my studies.

But I continue to visit you from time to time.

Best wishes,
Christine

November 13, 2006 4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home