Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Cosmological Conundrum

Whilst some cosmologists are talking about raisin bread and balloons, yet others will be attending a conference at Imperial on Outstanding questions for the standard cosmological model. That sounds like a lot to pack into a short conference, from March 26 to 29. If you're about, make sure you catch the talk by Louise Riofrio around lunchtime on March 29. Some people from UC will be attending, so we will be hearing more later about this interesting event.

Around the blogs, Never Ending Books has a post on the Riemann hypothesis, and kneemo reminds us to look at the PDG data. I wonder why?

3 Comments:

Blogger nige said...

I might go along on 29 March as it is a trivial distance from me.

Last year Lee Smolin gave a talk at the London School of Economics and in the end I didn't go to that because I was busy and knew I'd be trying to start a discussion with him about the physical dynamics of exchange radiation in loop quantum gravity, and the effect of the conservation of energy on redshifted gravitons exchanged between receding masses.

These issues just aren't suited to quick discussion in a question and answer session after someone's talk which is focussed elsewhere.

It would be great to attend this cosmology conference, especially if there is a chance of getting Louise's autograph.

March 14, 2007 7:24 AM  
Blogger Kea said...

Hi Nigel

Yes, maybe they'll all be lined up outside to get Louise's autograph - you never know!

March 14, 2007 11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I am going to the conference, and guess what, the fun thing is I managed to find a smart way to participate without weighing on my research group's funds... I will be using money from a pocket titled "funds for the qualification of personnel" of the INFN, the italian nuclear research agency for which I work.

It is kind of ironic that after 25 years spent in my own education, I can still get funded to learn new things... And it is cool, too!

Cheers,
T.

March 15, 2007 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home