Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Tantalising Tantrix

Let's take a break and play a game. Whilst on a wardening stint at French Ridge hut with my kea friends, back in 2000, I met a very interesting guy: Mike McManaway, the inventor of tantrix. His wife and I promptly sat down and started thinking about the combinatorics of this game, but I don't think we got very far.

The game (for 2 to 4 players) involves a collection of hexagonal pieces, each decorated with three strands in different colours. There are four colours in total, and each player chooses a colour, the aim being to finish up with a long strand or loop in your colour on the central board, which is slowly built up as pieces are placed, respecting colour at the edges. I can't say I've played it much, but it's fun to draw coloured knots!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kea, looks like a very nice game! I think I'm buying one... But the site says there is no distribution in Italy. I'll see if I can get one in London.

Cheers,
T.

June 26, 2007 1:00 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Hi Kea,

"DO_YOU_WANT_TO_PLAY_A_GAME?'

Quote from 'Wargames' 1983 to Matthew Broderick character from joshua a 'Norad computer' referring to thermonuclear warfare.
Movie/Television "QUOTES"

http://www.willowfriend.com/Useless%20Knowledge/MT_Quotes.html

I like the color in the game in your post.

A color graph related to my world:
Metabolic Pathways

http://www.manet.uiuc.edu/pathways.php

Sadly this is complete only for humans, maybe other vertebrates, but not Archaea or Bacteria [I think].

This is another reason why I think Petri Nets may be the best graphing method.

June 26, 2007 10:31 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Kea, I just realized that the game you present may be related to quilting 'Modular quilts and cuboid tree diagrams' in MoonshineMath!

http://www.neverendingbooks.org/?p=19

June 26, 2007 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home