Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Friday, June 06, 2008

M Theory Lesson 194

The denominator of the Fermi function is derived from the partition function

$Z = 1 + \textrm{exp}(- \frac{E - \mu}{kT})$

for the 2 possible occupancies of a fermion state, namely 0 or 1. A ternary analogue resulting in tripled Pauli statistics would require

$Z = 1 + 3 \textrm{exp} (- \frac{E}{kT})$

where we arbitrarily shift the energy scale, momentarily. Presumably this corresponds to the three possible ways of occupying the state with one particle, whereas for ordinary fermions there is only one way of occupying a state. Another interpretation is to write

$3 \textrm{exp} (- \frac{E}{kT}) = \textrm{exp} (- \frac{E}{kT} + \textrm{log} 3)$

where $\textrm{log} 3$ is an energy level (for one prime object) in the Riemann gas system, whose complete partition function is the Riemann zeta function $\zeta (s)$ for $s = (kT)^{-1}$.

2 Comments:

Blogger CarlBrannen said...

This is truly cool. Work is progressing on the paper. I'm writing the section on the mesons. There is nothing like sitting down to write a paper, with the intention that it be understood at a very elementary level, to make one understand something at a deeper level. I hope you do this someday.

June 07, 2008 5:45 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Carl, I'm always sitting down to write papers. Oh, I see. You're suggesting I actually finish a few! Hmmm. I'm afraid I have some doubts that anybody will really read them. It took me enough years to figure out that even people with strong opinions about a paper have probably given it no more than a cursory look.

June 07, 2008 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home