Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Thursday, October 09, 2008

An Evening Out

I would have continued musing over the CKM matrix this evening, but instead I wandered down through the pine forest in a cool southerly breeze to meet some locals for a few nibbles and wine at a lovely function put on by the friendly people at Air Safaris. Oh, and they also took us on a long flight. From the airport on ancient glacial deposits near town, Tim flew the 15 seater Nomad up the Godley valley and then about the high summits and glaciers of the Southern Alps. The thick fresh snow glistened in the evening sun and the air was clear, even down the Fox glacier to the West Coast. Ah, it's tough living in the country.

3 Comments:

Blogger L. Riofrio said...

That's beautiful! I used to spend days flying among time Sierra Nevada and Rocky Mountains. It's touch living in the country indeed!

October 10, 2008 5:50 AM  
Blogger Kea said...

Hi Louise! I used to spend a lot of time in the area on foot, so it was wonderful for me to see which glaciers had advanced and which receded, and how much snow there was, and people standing near the mountaineering huts, and the glacial deposit plains look amazing from the air.....

October 10, 2008 9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patty Wagstaff (champion aerobatic pilot) was interviewed on a TV show, & said:

"Sometimes flying [ getting away from earthbound problems/issues ] is the ONLY THING THAT MAKES SENSE!"

I find myself needing to hop on my bicycle, roaming the winding roads ("freedom"), for a refreshing break from work. Exercise is certainly therepeutic!

October 10, 2008 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home