Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Oxford Life IV

Strangely enough, the frequent obstacles of construction work and hordes of tourists here reminds me a lot of Christchurch NZ. But in other ways, England is really very different. One is supposed to tip in restaurants (sacrebleu), an average bathroom is about the size of a bathtub, and people seem to have trouble understanding that in the southern summer there are places where it is 13 hours ahead of GMT.

Meanwhile, my passport has finally wandered off into the bowels of the Home Office together with my original PhD certificate, which is nicely soiled and crumpled after its three month holiday in Wellington. Unsurprisingly, I had to fill out a long form containing almost exactly the same information they have already been given several times previously, such as the fact that I harbour no terrorist intentions or am not in any other way a person of dubious character!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

We're supposed to tip in restaurants? That’s something you only have to do in America! I think the general rule over here is; you tip if you want to!("Or is that my Rule?") Not only that, in most places over here, the management will take the tip and then maybe give some to the staff or maybe keep it for them selves. So always tip the waiter or waitress himself or herself, putting money on the plate next to the till will go to the management... Don’t feel like you have to tip because you don’t.

If you have a tub in your tub size room, you should think yourself lucky! I bet you have a fridge in your Kitchen don’t you?... You lucky bugger!

March 25, 2009 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was there in 1999 most places I stayed didn't have showers only baths. Do they have showers now?

March 25, 2009 9:20 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

I have a shower, but no bath. I think that's standard. And yes, there is a fridge in the kitchen - I am indeed fortunate.

March 25, 2009 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home