Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Conference II

Hah! The security guards happily let me into St Annes, and the lovely conference organiser asked Joseph Silk whether I could be let in. He refused. Apparently the theatre is very full and there is simply no space.

Shall we test them? There are about 60 particiants. The lecture theatre seats 100 people. Now I am guessing that people will be keen on skipping some lectures tomorrow and the next day. Would any participants be willing to offer me their valuable seat for a lecture that they are not interested in attending?

8 Comments:

Blogger nige said...

"He refused. Apparently the theatre is very full and there is simply no space."

Perhaps they have a model multiverse on display in the lecture theatre, which takes up all the spare space?

September 21, 2009 3:17 AM  
Blogger Kea said...

LOL. Well, we will soon know, because I emailed several participants that I know to ask them about the room capacity.

September 21, 2009 3:24 AM  
Blogger CarlBrannen said...

At the conferences I've been to in the US, one can only attend lectures if one pays the price. It is possible to crash the party, but only if you don't ask permission. Unless they are actually checking identification, you should have no trouble getting in.

By the way, did you see the rather hilarious / insulting comic at Abstruse Goose the other day?

September 21, 2009 3:20 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Yeah, love Abtruse Goose.

September 21, 2009 9:00 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Update: Well, Carroll is getting closer to God by deleting my (on topic) comments, and it appears that, although the conference is fairly full, there are some spare seats.

September 21, 2009 10:06 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Update: so my most reliable informant tells me that [quote] ... they seem to be strongly fixed on the idea that only invited participants should be allowed in the lectures.

Now, I am actually fine with this. If they don't want uninvited people there, that's OK. What is not OK is to blatantly lie about it.

September 21, 2009 11:12 PM  
Blogger L. Riofrio said...

What's wrong with crashing the party? Eventually they will announce that "dark energy" has been proven without a doubt, but the evidence is only available at conferences that only a few are allowed to attend.

September 22, 2009 1:12 AM  
Blogger Kea said...

Louise, I see your point, but I'm afraid I am not the gatecrashing type, although many readers of this blog seem to think I am ...

September 22, 2009 3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home