Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Saturday, June 30, 2007

At home again

Things often turn out very differently to how one expects. There I was, furiously studying complicated theorems in category theory and having nightmares about standing for hours on end trying to reproduce them all off the top of my head. And they didn't ask me any of that stuff. In fact, we didn't get anywhere near it, because I was in such a panic about the questions they did ask that at the snail's pace I was thinking we would have had to stand there for decades to cover that much ground. Anyway, today the rain cleared and all seems well in the world. Thank you, my examiners. Tomorrow I'm taking a day off to go to the hot springs with some friends. But there is still plenty of work to do when I get back.

Meanwhile, Carl threw a blog party to celebrate the mysterious growing interest in his amateur physics.

5 Comments:

Blogger CarlBrannen said...

Whoa! The first to offer you blog congratulations! You're going to get a PhD!

Uh, when exactly do we have to start calling you Dr? Also see the cartoons for the days following the above, which link will only work for a month or so.

June 30, 2007 2:54 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Thanks, Carl. But it will probably be a few months before everything is done.

June 30, 2007 2:57 PM  
Blogger Matti Pitkänen said...

Congratulations!

June 30, 2007 4:37 PM  
Blogger nige said...

Well done for surviving all that mathematical torture.

(I just hope you don't magically transform into a scientific conformist when your PhD is proudly hanging on your wall!)

July 01, 2007 5:16 AM  
Blogger CarlBrannen said...

It's a form of torture that the revolutionaries are required to kiss the hem of the old guard's coats before they're allowed to participate in the battles. Which reminds me, don't you have some saved up stuff for arXiv that you can send out now?

July 01, 2007 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home