Arcadian Functor

occasional meanderings in physics' brave new world

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Marni D. Sheppeard

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Neutrino08 Day 2d

K. Lesko introduced the multidisciplinary big cavern DUSEL proposal for the Homestake mine. Construction would take 6 to 8 years and a hopeful timeline is 2012-2018. Funds for concept proposals will be announced in October. The perfectly antipodean J. Gomez-Cadenas decided to start in 2016, now that we were into the swing of living in the future. He discussed superbeams at 1-4 MW and Beta beams, which would be pure neutrino beams.

Maltoni chose to spend 1/3 of his talk on the LSND problem and the apparent requirement of sterile neutrinos, which he explained were ruled out in 2+2 gen models by solar and atmospheric results, ruled out in 3+1 by short baseline data, ruled out in the 3+2 case (which attempted to reconcile LSND and MiniBooNE) by appearance and disappearance data, and ... well, he reckons it's all ruled out.

The last afternoon talk (before a 'generous' 10 minute break before the short evening talks) by Shaevitz discussed NuSOnG, an exciting generation III, TeV scale Fermilab neutrino scattering project using 800 GeV protons from Tevatron. It would have pure $\nu$ or pure $\overline{\nu}$ run modes and a possibility of a sizable tau neutrino fraction in the beam dump. It complements the LHC (see 0803.0354). Schedule estimate: 2009 proposal submission to 2016 data taking.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kea,

if Maltoni is Fabio, he was a summer student at Fermilab with me 16 years ago... Say hi to him!

Cheers,
T.

May 28, 2008 1:45 AM  
Blogger Kea said...

Um, it is an M. Maltoni. Don't think it's him.

May 28, 2008 6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kea

Love the reporting. This kind of reporting is starting to be a trend!

Best regards

Paul

May 28, 2008 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kea:

Are the talks being video-taped, for dowloadable videos? If so, I can do for Neutrino 08 like I did for Strings '07: transcode them to iPod compatible .mp4's.

http://strings07.blogspot.com

Then, I can set up a "Neutrino '08" video-blog & iTunes video-podcast (it only takes 24 hrs or less) since I have contacts at Apple. Then, I can setup search terms in iTunes like "Neutrino 08", "theoretical physics", "marni sheppeard", etc.

I just sent of a query for the above to the conference secretariat.

Your blogging would be enhanced with pictures.

Is anyone taking officially taking pictures @conference? I'm kicking myself, since I remember you saying "I don't have a camera". I was going to send you a camera. I have 3 cameras that I don't even use: Canon G1 (3M pixel), HP R.507 (4M pixel), Pentax Optio S (3M pixel). I even went as far as to research the best compact camera which can do landscape panoramas ($200 USD), it's a nice Canon.

May 28, 2008 3:36 PM  
Blogger Kea said...

Hi Chimp, slides will all be put on the web and I think that's it: no filming going on.

May 28, 2008 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home